Tracking my efforts to beat Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), aka CFIDS, aka CFS

Tracking my efforts to beat Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), aka CFIDS, aka CFS

Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Progress on SIBO treatment

In my last post, I wrote about my doctor's SIBO protocol.  I'm now only a couple of days away from finishing the protocol.  My symptoms (mainly a feeling of inflammation and bloating in the gut, especially after meals) have improved, without a doubt.  I now have many days where I have no symptoms at all, and other days where there are only minor symptoms.  This has been a significant improvement in quality of life, and for that alone, the treatment was worth it.

The problem is that I still have low-level symptoms and I can tell that if I stopped treatment today, it is likely the symptoms would come back just as strong as before. I half expected this because most of the the SIBO sources online emphasize how difficult it is to get rid of SIBO--especially when one has the methane-producing variety of SIBO, as I do.  Some people are clearly at the point of believing that it can never be cured (although it's not clear if they have tried a protocol similar to the one my doctor prescribed).

My doctor's instructions state that if at the end of the one-month protocol I am not completely symptom free, I should transition from antibiotics to herbal antibiotics for continuing treatment.  This is what I plan to do...   

No comments:

Post a Comment